Developed in partnership with:
TRI-MANIA DC: Kick off the season with 2x Ironman World Champion MIRINDA CARFRAE and Ironman Champion TIMOTHY O'DONNELL
The TRI-MANIA Summit and Expo on Saturday, March 22nd at Georgetown Prep in North Bethesda, MD kicks off the new triathlon season with an exciting and energy-packed day filled with informative seminars, hands-on clinics and workshops, competitive events, a vendor expo and more! Admission to the seminars and vendor expo is FREE. Register and you'll be eligible to win the Grand Prize Giveaway, a NormaTec Recovery System (a $1,750 value!) and exclusive discounts on selected clinics and workshops. Registration also makes you eligible to win other great prizes and the first 500 registered attendees receive a goodie bag filled with product samples, money-saving coupons and more (NOTE: You must be 18 years of age or older to be eligible to win the Grand Prize Giveaway or receive a goodie bag).
IRONMAN Triathlon’s fastest couple -- reigning IRONMAN World Champion and record holder Mirinda Carfrae, and IRONMAN Champion Timothy O’Donnell -- will jointly deliver the keynote at 1:30pm. Carfrae and O’Donnell, newlyweds who married in December 2013, will make one of their first appearances as a married couple at the event, which is produced by Sun Multisport Events in partnership with the USA Triathlon Mid-Atlantic Regional Council.
One of triathlon’s most popular athletes and a dominant force in long course triathlon with 20+ titles, Mirinda Carfrae ("Rinny") is a 2x IRONMAN World Champion (2010, 2013) and an IRONMAN 70.3 world champion (2007). Carfrae had a record-setting day in the 2013 GoPro IRONMAN World Championship setting an overall course record (8:52:14) that included a record-setting run time (2:50:38) in the marathon segment of the race which was also faster than men’s champion Frederik Van Lierde’s run time -- the first time in history the women’s champion ran faster than the men’s champion!
As a professional triathlete, Timothy O’Donnell (TO) has scored 20 wins to his credit. He earned first place at IRONMAN Brazil in 2013, and holds 9 IRONMAN 70.3 distance champion titles, including IRONMAN San Juan 70.3 (2x winner) and IRONMAN Galveston 70.3. He and also topped the podium at the prestigious Boulder Peak triathlon in 2013. O’Donnell graduated with honors from the U.S. Naval Academy and was commissioned as Ensign in the U.S. Navy. He first began competing in triathlon while in the Navy and led the Naval Academy Men’s team to two US national triathlon titles and holds six individual Armed Forces National titles.
The Rinny and TO keynote at 1:30pm will be moderated by the one and only BOB BABBITT, one of the great pioneers of the sport of triathlon who is a member of the IRONMAN and USA Triathlon Hall of Fames. Rinny and TO will also sign autographs from the Challenge Atlantic City booth on the expo floor from 3:00pm to 3:30pm.
Special thanks go out to the DC Tri Club, our official volunteer partner for the TRI-MANIA Summit and Expo in Washington DC. The DC Tri Club welcomes triathletes of all levels, from beginners to seasoned Ironman athletes. Their primary purpose is to provide a community where DC metro area triathletes can meet, train, and socialize. Visit the DC Tri Club website to learn more.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Below is a summary of the key events and happenings taking place at the 2014 TRI-MANIA Summit and Expo at Georgetown Prep. Links provided will guide you to other pages where you can find additional details.
- 7:30am: First Clinic of the day begins (Chi Running; clinics and workshop require registration and a fee to participate; see the complete Clinic and Workshop schedule)
- 9:00am: Start of the Newton Running Campus Dash, a 5k that will include Mirinda Carfrae and Timothy O'Donnell among the runners; also at this time the first Seminar of the day begins with 4x Olympian Sheila Taormina (Seminars are FREE to attend; see the complete Seminar schedule)
- 9:40am: Start of the first heat in the Bonzai Indoor Bike Time Trial; this is a 10k time trial where athletes hook their bike to one of the CompuTrainers provided
- 10:00am: Opening of the vendor expo (free admission!) and distribution of goodie bags begins; this year's expo is by far our biggest yet at Georgetown Prep with 65+ exhibitors... see the list of exhibitors
- 10:30am: Tri Tech Showcase presented by sam; a new addition to the TRI-MANIA series, the showcase will feature a series of short presentations on cutting-edge products
- 12:00pm: Start of the Bonzai Relay Team Swim Challenge; a 1200m relay team swim meet; two lucky teams will race with Mirinda Carfrae and Timothy O'Donnell
- 1:00pm: Goodie bags unclaimed by the first 500 registered attendees will be distributed to other registered attendees on a first come, first serve basis starting at 1pm
- 1:30pm-2:30pm: Q&A Keynote with Mirinda Carfrae and Timothy O'Donnell moderated by Bob Babbitt
- 3:00pm-3:30pm: Mirinda Carfrae and Timothy O'Donnell autograph signing from the Challenge Atlantic City booth on the expo floor
- 4:30pm: Rudy Project prize package (a $300 value) giveaway at the conclusion of the final seminar presentation
- 4:45pm: Grand Prize Giveaway of a NormaTec MVP Recovery System from the NormaTec booth on the expo floor; winner must register by present and 18 years of age or older
- 5:00pm: The 2014 TRI-MANIA Summit and Expo is a wrap!